Every time you choose to recycle, you are giving that item a second life to serve a new purpose and save natural resources. Now more than ever it’s important that only the right items, free from contamination, make their way into your curbside recycling bin to help keep recycling, and our shared planet, sustainable.
Please only recycle the basic materials listed below in your at-home recycling bin. Please empty and rinse all bottles and containers.
- Plastic Bottles (with necks only, anything without a neck cannot be recycled in Mecklenburg county. Place lids and caps back on empty containers)
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Aluminum / Tin / Steel Cans (place the sharp lid inside the can and pinch the top to avoid injuries)
- Cardboard Cartons
- Glass Bottles and Jars
*Nothing smaller than a business card should go into your at-home recycling bin.
Please DO NOT put the below items in your at-home recycling bin
- Plastic bags and trash (DO NOT bag your recycling – if your recycling is bagged the entire bag goes to the landfill. Plastic bags damage machinery).
- Shredded paper
- Car parts
- Scrap Metal
- Plastic film & bubble wrap
- Wire hangers
- Sharp objects
*Many of the items above can be taken to retailers, or any of the four Mecklenburg County Full Service Recycling Centers where they can be recycled through separate systems.
* Soft plastic bags can be recycled at over 18,000 locations across the US. And Canada. Recycling these items at participating retailers (Harris Teeter, Food Lion etc.) avoids them going to the landfill and makes it possible to create new items like wood alterative products. Soft plastic bags should never go in curbside recycling bins.
Phone : 311 or 980-314-3867