Are you passionate about reducing plastic pollution in our city? Do you want to be part of a community advocating for better policy. Now is a great time to join our Rise Above Plastics team. This team is all about getting Charlotteans to reduce and eliminate their single use plastics use, recycle right, and be an active voice in the city. If this sounds good to you, we would love to see you at our next meeting. Send us an email for more information or if you have any questions.
Local Restaurants, Bars and Breweries that are Rising Above Plastics!
An estimated 8.75 million metric tons (9.65 million tons) of plastic enter our oceans each year from land-based sources (range is 4.8 to 12.7 million metric tons). Our Rise Above Plastic (RAP) initiative recognizes local coffee shops, restaurants, bars and breweries that are using sustainable practices that are reducing their plastic footprints by doing some or all of the following:
- Use NO Styrofoam to-go boxes or cups
- Use non-plastic straws or only give out straws upon request
- Use proper recycling practices
- Only use reusable tableware for onsite dining and takeaway utensils are only provided on request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles
- No plastic bags offered for to-go orders
Below is a list of local coffee shops, restaurants, bars and breweries that practice at least 3 of the sustainable criteria listed above. Help Rise Above Plastics by supporting the following establishments:
If you know an establishment that is using sustainable practices please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful links from the video
- Filtered Water Pitchers – https://bestreviews.com/best-water-filter-pitchers
- Stainless Steel Straws – https://www.amazon.com/SipWell-Stainless-Drinking-Cleaning-Included/dp/B00KGIANQ2
- Bamboo Utensils – https://earthhero.com/products/travel/bagito-reusable-bamboo-utensil-set/
- Produce Bags – https://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-Reusable-Mesh-Produce-Bags/dp/B005E2QRPG
- Reusable Coffee Pod – https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/reusable-coffee-pods
Here are ten easy things you can do to reduce your ‘plastic footprint’ and help keep plastics out of the marine environment:
- Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or glass reusable bottles are available locally at great prices.
- Refuse single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws and other ‘disposable’ plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack or car to use at bbq’s, potlucks or take-out restaurants.
- Reduce everyday plastics such as sandwich bags and juice cartons by replacing them with a reusable lunch bag/box that includes a thermos.
- Bring your to-go mug with you to the coffee shops, smoothie shops or restaurants that let you use them. A great way to reduce lids, plastic cups and/or plastic-lined cups.
- Go digital! No need for plastic cds & dvds when you can buy your music and videos online.
- Seek out alternatives to the plastic items that you rely on.
- Recycle. If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
- Volunteer at one of our local cleanups.
- Support plastic bag bans, polystyrene foam bans and bottle recycling bills.
- Spread the word. Talk to your family and friends about why it is important to Rise Above Plastics!